In 2017 the Northern California Nevada Conference of the UCC established an endowment fund to support clergy and church vitality in our Conference. The interest from this fund will be distributed each year to churches and clergy based on the following criteria:
A Continuing Education opportunity for an Authorized Minister that promotes learning, revitalization and is determined to support the ministry of the church and the authorized minister and enhances the health and vitality of the authorized minister. At least 25% of the funding must be provided by the authorized minister. For an authorized minister who is serving as a pastor of a local church, it is expected that the local church will provide at least an additional 25% of the funding.
A program of the church, endorsed by church leaders and determined to enhance the vitality of the church and its ministry. At least 33% of the funding for this project will come from the church.
- Applications are temporarily suspended from September 18, 2020 through at least December 31, 2021.
- Awards to clergy will be considered six times per year. The deadline to apply will be the last day of even numbered months (February 28, April 30, June 30, August 31, October 31, and December 31). Disbursements will be made in the following month.
- Awards to churches will be disbursed twice annually. Applications for awards the first half of a calendar year must be received by December 31 of the prior year; awards for the second half of a calendar year must be received by June 30 of the present year.
- The Endowment Fund Committee (made up of a Conference staff member and at least two others—either laypersons or clergy) will review the application and determine if the criteria are met and decide on an award amount with the awards being disbursed to churches in January and July.
- Within 2 months of the event or the end of the project, a report will be sent to the Conference summarizing how the money was used. Any unused funds will be returned to the endowment.
- The Authorized Minister and church agree to support efforts to share the success of any event or program with the wider church in an appropriate way agreed upon by the parties involved.